Quotes on Writing and Reading

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. Ernest Hemingway
Humans aren’t as good as we should be in our capacity to empathize with feelings and thoughts of others, be they humans or other animals on Earth. So maybe part of our formal education should be training in empathy. Imagine how different the world would be if, in fact, that were ‘reading, writing, arithmetic, empathy.’ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way. EL Doctorow

No race can prosper till it learns that there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem. Booker T Washington

We live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups. I ask, in my writing, ‘What is real?’ Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms. Philip K Dick

The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe. Gustave Flaubert

Reading and writing, like everything else, improve with practice. And, of course, if there are no young readers and writers, there will shortly be no older ones. Literacy will be dead, and democracy – which many believe goes hand in hand with it – will be dead as well. Margaret Atwood

In all my life, I have never been free. I have never been able to do anything with freedom, except in the field of my writing. Langston Hughes

I’m writing a book. I’ve got the page numbers done. Steven Wright